2015 Year in Review...
2015 was a great year at Hope for the Child and Arise N Shine Community Academy in Kisumu, Kenya. We are so glad you were able to support us in our mission this past year!
Thanks to you, we built two extra classrooms and an office for our teachers. Also, nineteen of our students graduated. We continue to provide stewardship for our graduates, along with scholarship opportunities so that they may continue pursuing their education in neighboring schools. We surpassed our goal at our annual Golf Fore the Child benefit and raised over $13,000 - a 70% increase from last year! This money has gone a long way in providing books, teachers’ salaries, food and basic needs for our children. Please be on the lookout for information about our 6th annual golf event to be held on Tuesday June 14th, 2016!
Another exciting update from 2015: We enrolled 100 new students at the academy - up 20% from last year! This increase is a testament to the reputation the school has built within the community.
Local families and leaders now recognize our school as a place of hope for children who would otherwise have nothing.
Arise N Shine Community Academy is grateful for your continued support and have set forth the following top two goals for 2016:
1. Improvement in Learning Outcomes: This will be largely achieved by focusing on teacher development. We have slightly increased the pay for teachers this year in order to remain competitive and to provide better incentives to maximize teacher performance. In addition, we will continue collaborating with Destination Teach that helps bring "voluntourism" to our school in Kenya. This year five individuals have signed up to travel to the school and teach and volunteer in the community for two weeks. To learn more, visit www.destinationteach.com.
2. Child-friendly Schools: Arise N Shine will continue to improve upon our facilities in order to promote healthy, safe surroundings for all students and staff at the school. This includes making sure we are also in full compliance with the city regulations. Key areas that we will look into to accomplish this include promotion of health and nutrition programs, girls' education and increasing local community involvement.
Thank you again
for your continued support. Please email us with any questions or
inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To stay up-to-date as we reach goals and share student stories, please "Like" our Facebook page!
1. The purchase of 10 desks at $35 each for a total of $350.
2. Repairs of the student bathrooms: including door replacement for $500.
3. Sponsorship of a teacher's salary: The monthly cost of a teacher's salary is $120 and we need to sponsor 5 teachers.
Thank you again for all of your support over the last year - our accomplishments wouldn't have been possible without you!
As we head into 2016, we'd like to share an opportunity to give to Hope for the Child. We truly appreciate your continued support and hope that you are able to contribute to Hope for the Child this year. Your generosity will allow us to reach new goals, and more important serve more children with the education they deserve.
Hope for the Child is a recognized 501(c)(3) charitable organization so your contributions are tax-deductible.
Giving is easy:
1. Click on the the Donate button on the navigation bar above and follow the prompts.
Happy New Year!
Over the last year Hope for the Child has been blessed - full of success and joy! For this, we thank all of you. Your efforts, dedication and support of our mission has allowed us to make a poor child’s dream of going to school come true.
Because of you, 16 children - 9 girls and 7 boys - took part in our third elementary graduation ceremony! Congratulations to all the students, teachers and staff at Arise N Shine Community Academy for this achievement! We look forward to making even more children’s dreams of living a happier, healthier life come true in 2016.
On behalf of all the families and staff at Hope for the Child, I would like to send warm hugs and best wishes as you begin this New Year in the best way! Hope for the Child and Arise N Shine Community Academy extends deep gratitude to everyone - YOU - who has helped us make our mission real!
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Executive Director, Founder
Serving abandoned and disadvantaged children in Kisumu, Kenya SINCE 2007
The students that we serve consist of children from various disadvantaged groups, including but not limited to, children from backgrounds of poverty, abuse and HIV/AIDS in the Kisumu area. Hope for the Child will enable orphans to become adults who are able to contribute to society and defeat poverty for generations to come. Through education and community leadership initiatives, we inspire children to realize their full potential in life. The aim of HFTC is to bring not only food and substance to the body, but to nurture the mind and soul through love, education, and parental guidance.
"Kenya is among the world’s 30 poorest countries, ranking 152 out of 177 countries on the 2006 Human Development Index."
"More than 15 million people – including more than half the rural population – are without access to safe water or sanitation facilities."
1.2 million of school-going aged children remain unenrolled
Graduating class 2015!
Congratulations to our graduating class of 2015! Patience, below, is one of our graduates and she proudly poses for a picture.